Monday, September 1, 2008

Jesus or the Holy Spirit...you choose!

I know...that can sound bad. But before you turn away, listen to what I'm really trying to expose. Have you ever had the thought....if Jesus was walking right beside me physically than I would really be able to be okay, or accomplish something, or walk away from temptation? I confess that I have too. But today I finally realized what a ludicrous thought that really is.

Take a minute to imagine the disciples throughout the gospels. They had Jesus physically with them and yet were making poor choices, being self-focused, expressing anxiety, doubting Him...to name a few. Why do we believe we would be any different today? 

When we ask for Jesus' physical presence, what we are also requesting is the removal of the Holy Spirit. Think about it. The disciples had Jesus, but if He ever instructed them to go ahead to another town, or went off to pray, their lives took a perilous turn. They were completely dependant on being able to SEE Him in order to have confidence, peace, or a knowing of how to handle the people or situations that came their way. Jesus was their very lifeline. If He removed Himself from them, they felt cut off. Abandoned. 

Not so with us. We have the Holy Spirit. And with the Holy Spirit comes continual confidence, peace, empowerment, wisdom, strength, guidance. Why would I substitute the temporary presence of Jesus for the eternal presence of the Holy Spirit? I do not want to be dependant on Someone being with me physically so that I am able to succeed and be all that I am to be. I want to be able to pray, search the Scriptures, and depend on the still small voice of guidance from deep inside to lead and direct my steps. 

It's simple. When we ask for the physical presence of Jesus, we set ourselves up for a regular anxiety attack. We are dependant on what we can see and if we cannot see it we lose all confidence. If we rely on the Holy Spirit, we realize that we are never alone. He never leaves us. We will forever walk in confidence, strength, peace, and wisdom. 

So next time we are tempted to think we are lacking, remember that we lack nothing. We have exactly Who we need to live the confident, victorious life. 

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Good, approachable, comforting.

Unknown said...

I think it all comes back to faith. Do I believe the Holy Spirit, whom I can't see or even necessarily feel is at work? More often I'm like Doubting Thomas having to see the physical evidence rather than simply taking God at His word.