Sunday, August 31, 2008

Discerning the call...


One of the wisest truths I'm attempting to live is "a need does not constitute a call". Those of us who have a hard time saying no will understand why this truth has the potential to impact the very core of who we are. It's simple, yet revolutionary! Ephesians 2:10 encapsulates it well: We are God's masterpieces....and HE has designed good works in advance for us to do. 

They key to freedom is in realizing that it is HE who does the calling. It is not the roar of the crowd nor the whisper of the needy, but the sovereign plans of a loving and balanced Creator that guides our pathway to service. 

How many days, months, years have I labored at things in the flesh? You say...the flesh...is that not too harsh? No...it is truth! When I step outside of His call, I cease to be His messenger. I am a messenger for ME...showing off my gifts, talents and abilities.

Ponder these verses...

2 Cor 3:5 - It is not that we think we are qualified to do anything on our own. Our qualification comes from God.

2 Co 4:7 - We now have this light shining in our hearts, but we ourselves are like fragile clay jars containing this great treasure. This makes it clear that our great power is from God, not from ourselves.

John 15:5 - Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.

It seems rather clear...if I say "yes" to those things that are not in God's plan for me, than I rely on my own strength and power. HE alone qualifies me, strengthens me, empowers me, and ensures that what I do will be fruitful. It is only when I say no to to the good things in life, that I am free to do the GOD things in life. 

We do not serve b/c we are needed, we serve b/c we are called. Called by God. None other will do.

No comments: